Temple Priest, Wife Electrocuted in Patna

Family members mourn the death of a priest and his wife in Patna on Tuesday.

Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

Patna: In a very tragic turn of events, a husband-wife duo in Patna died when they unknowingly stepped into a puddle of water that was flowing with electrical current due to a broken high-tension wire on early Tuesday morning.

As reported, Surendra Jha, a priest at a Hanuman Temple in Rajvanshi Nagar, lived in Patel Nagar with his wife Savitri Devi.

On Tuesday morning around 4:00, the two, like many times in the past, left their home to go to the temple to perform puja but inadvertently walked into a puddle of water. The couple was hit by high voltage electricity caused by an overhead broken power cable. Both died on the spot.

Some people in the neighborhood claimed hearing loud scream but they did not pay much attention to it, police said.

Their bodies were discovered by an auto-rickshaw driver who informed the police. After the power was temporarily shut down in the area, the body was sent to Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences (IGIMS) for autopsy.

Grieving family members said Jha and his wife hailed from Sitamarhi and had been living in a rented flat in Patel Nagar for a long time.

Police are investigating the case.

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS

View Your Patna

/30

Latest Comments

Guest Columns, Features, Lifestyle, Blog