Here is something everyone can relate to: You tell your mom that you are tired or you have a shoulder or back pain, and the first thing she would say is, "It's because you are always on your Phone/Computer!"
And guess what? She's right. The amount of time you spend looking at digital devices can, in fact, affect you in more than one way. It's called Computer Vision Syndrome or Digital Eye Strain, and it's common among children and adults alike.
What Causes Digital Eye Strain?
Just as the name suggests, prolonged screen time is the main reason for digital eye strain. Like gaming or binge-watching shows without any break, reading for a long time in dim light, and using phone before bed.
According to researchers, the blue light from our phone and computer screen is the main reason for eye irritation. It suppresses melatonin secretion, which helps us to fall asleep.
What are the symptoms?
Some of the common symptoms include:
- Red eyes
- Eye irritation
- Dry or watery eyes
- Shoulder and back pain
- Blurry or double vision
- Having trouble concentrating
- Difficulty keeping eyes open
Computer vision syndrome has become common in recent years. Though it doesn't have any serious or long-term consequences, it can be unpleasant and be a hindrance to your work.
So, here are some steps you can take to protect your eyes:
- Blink - Most of us blink less while working on our computer, which results in dry eyes.
- Check your posture and work desk setup - Now, almost all of us are in a deskbound job, sitting in front of a computer for 8-9 hours. So, make sure your computer screen is at your eye level, and there is no reflection on the screen. And always maintain the proper posture. Slouching will strain your eyes.
- Have a break- You know when your eyes feel tired. So, take a small break for at least five minutes and relax your eyes.
- Adjust the brightness - Make sure to check the contrast between the text and the background.
- Don't use your phone on bed - All of us have this unhealthy habit of using our phone in our bed. The blue light from your phone screen will not only dry out your eyes but will also cause sleep deprivation.
- Get a computer glass - Wearing a computer glass is a great way to protect your eyes from blue light and glare.
If you still feel any discomfort or eyesight problem, then visit a good optician for an eye examination. Vision Divyadrishti Eye Care Centre, ASG Eye Hospital, and Joyti Eye Hospital offer excellent service, and they have a wide range of spectacles and lenses. They are honored as Top-Rated Eye Hospitals in Patna, by Three Best Rated®, a multi-national ranking website, which uses a rigorous 50-point inspection to find the Best 3 in every field.
Swetha Krishnan is a freelance writer.