A very popular South Indian dish that goes along with Dosa, Idli and other Indian snacks like Vada.
For 2 Person(s)
- 1/3 cup(s) yellow split peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Whole green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 cup(s) boiling water
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 1 pinch(es) asafetida (heeng)
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt, or as desired
- 1 Whole green pepper, cut
- 1 medium tomato, cut
- 1 pinch(es) fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) lemon juice
- Soak spilt peas 12 hours or overnight, then drain.
- Bring water to a boil and add peas, sliced onion and green chilies.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and fry the coriander, chili powder, cumin, turmeric and asafetida for 2or 3 minutes.
- Add to the simmering peas, along with the green pepper and tomato.
- Put in salt. Simmer1/2 hour.
- In remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, fry the fenugreek and mustard seeds until they crackle.
- Add onion and brown lightly.
- Add to the spilt peas.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with rice, idlis or dosas.