Bhindi Tamatar Subzi
(Okra with tomato)
For 3 Person(s)
- 0.5 kilo(s) bhindi (okra)
- 4 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) cumin seed
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-sized tomato, cut in half and sliced 1/4
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon(s) coriander powder
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) fennel seeds, grounded coarsely
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) amchur (mango) powder
Bhindi Tamatar Subzi Directions
- Wash and drain okra, pat dry with paper towels. Remove stem ends and the tips.
- Slice okra in half, set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds and fry until golden brown.
- Add onion and tomato and layer okra with it.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, and ground fennel seeds on okra.
- Stir gently with a spatula.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat, and simmer until okra is tender.
- Remove the lid, raise heat to medium.
- Add mango powder and stir gently.
- Pour the remaining 3 tsps oil around the sides of the pan allowing it to flow to the bottom of the pan.
- Fry 5-7 minutes, stirring gently with the spatula.
- Serve in a plate.