Bharwaan Tamatar (Stuffed Tomatoes)
A great side-dish
For 6 Person(s)
- 6 Whole tomatoes, firm, ripe
- 8 tablespoon(s) mixed vegetables, boiled and diced
- 2 tablespoon(s) Fresh cilantro (dhania patta), chopped
- 1 Whole green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 Whole small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch(es) fresh ginger-root, grated
- 1 teaspoon(s) garam masala
- 1 teaspoon(s) ghee, or vegetable oil (as necessary)
- 1 teaspoon(s) while cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or as desired
Bharwaan Tamatar (Stuffed Tomatoes) Directions
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the pulp. Save tops to use as lids later.
- In a deep bowl mix vegetables, cilantro (coriander), chili, onion, ginger, gram masala and salt - one by one; also add tomato pulp and mix thoroughly.
- Heat 3 tablespoons ghee (or vegetable oil) in a kadhai (or a large frying pan), and sauté cumin seeds until they change color. Then carefully arrange tomato shells in pan, over cumin.
- Stuff shells with vegetable mixture. Replace tomato lids and secure with cocktail toothpicks. Sprinkle leftover mixture around tomatoes in pan.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. Carefully turn tomatoes over a few times and add more ghee as necessary so that tomatoes do not stick to pan.
- Serve hot or cold.