Black Bean Chili
A nice change chili dish without any meat.
For 4 Person(s)
- 4 cup(s) dry black beans
- 2 tablespoon(s) cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tablespoon(s) dried oregano
- 2 cup(s) finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cup(s) finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- 1/2 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 cup(s) crushed tomato
- 1/3 cup(s) finely chopped jalapeno peppers (2 large would do).
- 1/2 pound(s) Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoon(s) sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped cilantro
Black Bean Chili Directions
- Sort through the beans, discard funky ones and small pebbles. Rinse well. Place the bean in a large pot and add enough water to cover them by several inches.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 1&3/4 hrs or till tender.
- Water should always cover the beans, so add more if the beans start to peek through. When the beans are cooked, strain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Add the reserved cooking water back to the beans.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Toast cumin seeds and oregano in a small pan until the fragrance is toasty, about 10 min.
- Sauté the onions, bell pepper and garlic in the oil over med high heat with the toasted cumin seeds and herbs, red chili powder, paprika and salt till the onions are soft, about 10 min.
- Add the tomatoes and chilies.
- Add this mixture to the beans and stir well.
- Add additional seasoning to taste.
- To serve -- Place about ¼ cup grated cheese in a warmed bowl, add a generous cup of beans and dollop spoon of sour cream. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp green onions and cilantro.