The drumstick (or Sahjan) is a vegetable that is commonly available in India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Grown as a backyard tree in most homes, the drumstick tree has small white flowers, small and round leaves and drumstick like pods.
If you have a drumstick tree in your garden, then you have a doctor at home. It is a good medicine for most of the common diseases. The root, stem, branches, flowers, gum on the surface of the branches, vegetable and leaves are the raw materials for many medicines.
* It is rich in nutrients (vitamin A & C, iron, phosphorous and calcium).
* Increases appetite and reduce headache.
* Heals the wounds inside the stomach and reduce blood diarrhea.
* Purifies blood and excretes toxins out of the body.
* Leaves are eaten as greens, in salads, in vegetable curries, as pickles and for seasoning.
* Consumption of leaves reduces blood sugar.
* Prevent constipation.
* Help to get strong and healthy hair.
* Soup of drumstick leaves prevents asthma.
* Improve skin tone and act as a beauty enhancer.
* Drumstick leaves dishes are the best medicine for mother’s milk secretion and good food for pregnant women.
* Leaf juice mixed with lemon juice helps in getting rid of pimples.
* A decoction made from the bark of drumsticks and honey can help get rid of worm infestations.
* The root of the drumsticks plant boiled in water, if inhaled deeply can clear the nasal passages.
* Juice of the drumstick roots mixed with milk are helpful in preventing back ache.
* Helps in curing fever.
* The flowers of the drumstick help to maintain a healthy heart.
* Drumstick seeds are used for water purification. It acts both as a coagulant and an antimicrobial agent.
Thus, Drumstick is a tree in your backyard that can not only meet your nutritional needs, but also take care of you medicinally and purify your water. It is often referred as “Miracle Tree” which is highly justified with all these wonderful benefits that it provides.
Deepika Kr. Umesh is a Ph.D. scholar at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi. She hails from Nalanda district in Bihar.