Eggplant (Baingan) Tomato Gratin
For 4 Person(s)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut in 1/2" thick slices
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 large eggplants, cut into 1/2" thick slices
- 1/4 cup(s) dry, unseasoned bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) dry basil
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) fat-free half and half milk
- 1 1/2 cup(s) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) grated, parmesan cheese
Eggplant (Baingan) Tomato Gratin Directions
- Place tomato slices on paper towels, sprinkle with ¼ tsp of the salt. Place more paper towels on top. Let stand 30 min. Pat top of tomato to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Coat both sides of eggplant with nonstick cooking spray. Heat broiler.
- Broil eggplant slices on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray for 5 min on each side or until tender.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degree. Coat a 2½ quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the bottom. Arrange eggplant and tomato slices, alternating, around baking dish and down center in a single layer if possible.
- Sprinkle casserole with oregano, basil, garlic and remaining1/4 tsp salt. Drizzle with half and half. Top with both kinds of cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degree for 45 min. Remove foil, bake 10 min or until cheese is golden.