For 2 Person(s)
- 500 grams kathal (Jackfruit), (or, 1 can Kathal found in Indian grocery stores)
- 250 grams potatoes
- 250 grams tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup(s) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup(s) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup(s) onion paste
- 1/4 cup(s) ginger/garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon(s) whole garam masala
- 2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 piece(s) bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon(s) garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 1/2 cup(s) cooking oil
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or as desired
Kathal Subzi Directions
- Wash and cut the kathal into square pieces and boil it for 2 minutes with salt and turmeric powder. (If using the canned ones, drain the water and clean with fresh water.)
- Sprinkle some salt and ½ turmeric powder over it and keep aside.
- Cut potato the same size.
- Heat a kadai, and add oil. After heating, add whole garam masala, whole jeera and bay leaves.
- Add potato and fry till golden brown, and remove from kadai.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic paste and fry for 5 min.
- Add all other masalas and both tomatoes and curd and fry them till oil separates (except the garam masala powder).
- Add kathal and potatoes to it and mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- When oil separates, add water and bring to boil.
- Again, cover for 5 minutes and add garam masala powder and remove from heat.
- Serve hot.