Lauki ke Gatte
Another fine Bihari recipe by Mrs. Ranjana Lal.
For 4 Person(s)
- 500 grams lauki (also called Kaddu)
- 1 cup(s) besan (gram flour)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) yogurt, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 2 Whole bay leaves
- 2 Whole green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 pinch(es) asafetida (heeng)
- 2 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) cooking oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) coriander-cumin (dhania-jeera) powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or as desired
Lauki ke Gatte Directions
- Grate the lauki, squeeze out the water from it and add besan, salt, 1 tsp. red chili powder, 1 tsp. dhaniya powder, and mix well to form soft dough.
- Shape into long cylinders (gattas), place them in a greased sieve, and keep this sieve over a pot of boiling water.
- Cover the sieve and cook until the gattas are cooked (see by piercing with a knife).
- When done cool and cut them into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add the oil and hing, and then add jeera, and tej patta, when it splutters.
- Add the haldi, red chilli powder and the curds mixed with dhaniya powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook until the oil floats. Now add gattas and water and cook till a nice gravy is formed.
- Serve hot topped with chopped cilantro.