Sookha Aloo Matar
Goes great with puri or paratha. A popular dish for families traveling by trains in India.
For 4 Person(s)
- 500 grams potatoes, boiled, peeled, and cut in chunks
- 3 tablespoon(s) cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) raai
- 1 pinch(es) asafetida (heeng)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 3 Whole dried chilies
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup(s) frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoon(s) cilantro leaves, chopped
Sookha Aloo Matar Directions
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add heeng, raai, cumin seed, and red chilies.
- As soon as the rai begins to pop, add potatoes, stir, and fry the potatoes until they are brown.
- Add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and sugar.
- Stir once or twice, and then add peas.
- Add 250 ml of water and 1 tspn of salt. Bring to boil
- Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook on slow flame for 10 mins.
- Stir in grated tomatoes and remaining salt.
- Simmer gently uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.