Fish in Sarson ka Masala
The traditional Bihari recipe for fish.
Waiting time 10m
For 4 Person(s)
- 2 tablespoon(s) fine sarson (mustard) powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) coarse mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) mustard (or vegetable) oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) chopped soy leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) methi (fenugreek) seeds
- 2 pound(s) catfish, cut in fillet
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or as desired
- 1/2 cup(s) frozen peas
- 1 potato, boiled and cut in desired size (optional)
Fish in Sarson ka Masala Directions
- In a small bowl, take all the masala powder from mustard to garlic, add half cup of water, cover and leave for 15 mins. Then mix with a spoon.
- In a non-stick pan, heat 1 tsp oil (this oil is extra from the given ingredients). Sprinkle little haldi (turmeric) and salt to the fish pieces and add to the heated pan. Cook fish pieces on both sides for 5 to 8 minutes on medium heat. Take pan off the heat and keep aside.
- Heat a pot with oil. When ready add methi seeds, after a minute add the masala paste and 1/4 cup water. Cook on high for a minute and then on low till oil separates.
- Add chopped tomato and salt according to taste. Keep cooking again on high for a minute and on low heat till tomato is cooked and looks like paste and oil separates.
- Add Soya patta, peas and boiled potato. Stir and cook for 3 mins. When again oil starts to separate add fish. Mix gently with the masala and add 1-cup water. Bring to boil and then to medium heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes till gravy thickens. Take off heat and serve hot with rice.