Bajka - A popular Bihari Snack
Snack for all occasions. Also goes nicely with drinks.
(Note: Different types of vegetables can be used to make bajka. Such as lauki slices, bhindi cut in small pieces, pumpkin flower, or soaked chana mixed with the besan batter and fried. For chana ka bajka, besan should be adjusted according to the quantity of chana and chopped onion, green chili is also mixed with the batter.)
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) besan (gram flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 potato, large, peeled, washed, and sliced in 1/4
- 1 onion, large, peeled, washed, and sliced in 1/4
- 1 eggplant, medium-size, washed and sliced in 1/2
- 1/2 cup(s) cooking oil, for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or according to taste
Bajka - A popular Bihari Snack Directions
- Mix besan with little water and whisk till smooth. Then add enough water to make thick batter.
- Add turmeric, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, cumin, seeds, and chopped coriander leaves into it. Mix well.
- Get the vegetables ready.
- Heat oil in a deep pot or kadahi to very hot. Bring the flame to medium. Now add the baking soda to besan and mix.
- Dip the sliced vegetable pieces in the besan batter a few at a time and drop slowly in the hot oil.
- Fry turning until the bajka is crisp and golden. Drain and put on top of a paper towel.
- Fry all the slices in the same way.
- Serve with lunch or dinner.