Kashmiri Meatball Curry
Not easy to prepare but ooh, it's worth the effort!
Waiting time 10m
For 2 Person(s)
- 1 1/2 pound(s) ground lamb (keema)
- 1/4 cup(s) garbanzo bean flour
- 3 tablespoon(s) garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt (to taste)
- 6 tablespoon(s) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 3 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 2 inch fresh ginger-root, grated
- 1 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped cilantro, for garnish
Kashmiri Meatball Curry Directions
- Put lamb, flour, garam masala, cayenne, salt and half the yogurt in a bowl; mix together well.
- Shape into 16 long ovals.
- Heat oil in a shallow heavy saucepan, add cinnamon, cardamom pods, bay leaves and cloves.
- Stir-fry a few seconds, then add meatballs; cook until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add ginger-root ; cook a few seconds more. Stir remaining yogurt into water; pour over meatballs.
- Cover pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, until meatballs are cooked and almost all the sauce has been absorbed, stirring gently two or three times.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve at once.
Note: If meatballs release a lot of fat during initial cooking, drain off fat before adding yogurt liquid.