Goes best with rice.
For 2 Person(s)
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 2 pound(s) fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/2 pound(s) potatoes
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger-root, chopped
- 5 Whole green chilies, chopped
- 5 Whole bay leaves
- 2 pods green cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) asafetida (heeng)
- 1 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup(s) yogurt, whipped smoothly
- 2 tablespoon(s) cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) desi ghee
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or as desired
Matar Nimona Directions
- Boil the green peas until half done, then coarsely mash them.
- Boil the potatoes.
- Heat oil and ghee, add bay leaves, cardamom, asafetida, ginger and green chilli, stir fry for a minute, then add mashed peas and rest of the masala.
- Cook and stir, until half done, add yogurt, stir vigorously and add potato cubes.
- Keep stirring and cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water, bring to boil, then lower heat to medium and cover.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and take off the pot from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and serve garnished with chopped coriander.